How to transfer Matlab to new computer with Windows 11, Windows 10, 8 or 7
In this article, we’ll see how to transfer Matlab from one computer to another, including workspaces, existing settings and, of course, data. In fact, you can also transfer other programs and files as well, not just Matlab, and they will all function just as on the old machine.
In this tutorial, we’ll learn how to transfer Matlab completely automatically – using Zinstall WinWin, and copy Matlab software and files from the old laptop or desktop to the new one. This tutorial works for XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1, Windows 10 and Windows 11. Yes, this does mean that you can transfer Matlab even from XP to Windows 11!
Note on licensing: the tool used in this tutorial transfers the licenses files as well, so if you have lost your disks or don’t remember the license number, you can still use it. However, it is up to you to make sure that your license is still valid for use on a new computer. Matlab will also verify license validity when it first starts.
How to transfer Matlab from one computer to another
- Download Zinstall WinWin on both computers.
Note: You can download WinWin here, and its user guide here.
- Run Zinstall WinWin on the old computer.
- Run Zinstall WinWin on the new computer.
- You don’t need to do any configurations for the computers to connect – it’s automatic.
- If the computers are already connect to same router, same Internet connection, or same wireless connection, you don’t need anything else.
- If the computers are not connected at all, connect them with a network / Ethernet cable.
- If you’d like to select which applications and files you want to transfer, press the Advanced menu. If you just want to transfer everything, you don’t need to go to the Advanced menu. Matlab will be transferred automatically.
- Press “Go” on the new computer to start the transfer
- The transfer will take a while (depending on how much data you have to transfer), and report to you when done.
That’s it! You now have Matlab, with all of your data and other programs, on your new computer.
Ready to transfer your Matlab, programs and files?
Get Zinstall WinWin here.
Video tutorial – how to transfer Matlab to a new computer